Our clients - What We Do - Our Goals - Our Value - Board of Directors - Our Staff
"Uongozi" means leadership in Kiswahili, and inspiring and strengthening leadership is the core purpose of our organisation. Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, UONGOZI Institute is dedicated to supporting African leaders to attain sustainable development for their nations and for Africa
We seek to inspire leaders and promote the recognition of the important role of leadership in sustainable development. We believe that:
- Leadership is the key to achieving sustainable development
- The development of a leader requires specialised grooming
- An African model of leadership is vital for achieving the most favourable development outcomes for Africa.
The Institute is an independent government agency established by the Government of Tanzania and supported by the government of Finland.
A prosperous and equitable Africa through effective leadership for sustainable development.
To inspire and equip African leaders to realise their personal and collective potential to deliver sustainable solutions for African citizens.
UONGOZI Institute provides services to senior leaders who have a demonstrable impact upon their society's development, as well as individuals who have been recognised as emerging leaders with the potential to make a positive impact. We support African leaders to:
- Develop national and/or organisational agendas and oversee the implementation of strategies;
- Analyse local, global and regional developments, and interpret their implications within national and organisational contexts;
- Pursue their country's and/or organisation's interests in bi-lateral or multi-lateral negotiations;
- Make informed decisions, which they adhere to and are accountable for;
- Manage and stimulate staff to achieve their best; and
- Be accountable to, and communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
What We Do
- Offers specialised courses relating to leadership and executive management;
- Provides opportunities for leaders to share ideas on strategic leadership for sustainable development;
- Stimulates strategic thinking to formulate African solutions to African challenges;
- Promotes dialogue on aspects of governance and strategic planning; and
- Supports research on leadership in Africa.
To realise the Institute's mission, our work is organised around five goals.
1) Strengthening the proficiency of leaders and emerging leaders across Africa
We offer specialised training programmes to directly address challenges leaders encounter in their work. Our training programmes cover:
- Strategic leadership for sustainable development;
- Leadership reflection and action;
- Public sector management; and
- Results-based management.
2) Fostering innovative partnerships and collaboration amongst leaders by bringing together senior and emerging leaders across Africa
We provide opportunities for leaders to meet and share ideas so that they may understand the perspectives of others and find possibilities for synergy.
3) Supporting a positive operating environment for leaders by promoting accountable governance
We highlight the negative and positive impacts of operating environments upon the efforts of leaders by promoting dialogue and supporting research on aspects of accountable governance.
4) Generating or collating knowledge specific to leaders concerns as well as facilitating leaders to share their knowledge
We provide leaders with access to contemporary knowledge that is directly relevant to their work, including research findings. Our clients also have access to a network of peers across the world so that knowledge can be sought and shared.
5) Building UONGOZI Institute to become a centre of excellence for leadership development and a showcase for sustainable development
We aim to be one of the leading, independent, Pan-African organisations in leadership for sustainable development. To mirror our organisational vision, the Institute will strive to demonstrate best practice in institutional design and operations.
It is important to us that we:
- Provide innovative and relevant services of high quality;
- Are transparent and accountable;
- Remain politically neutral;
- Respect confidentiality;
- Are open to differing perspectives;
- Foster an environment of open discussion; and
- Promote sustainable development.
UONGOZI Institute's Board of Directors
Mrs. Anne Sipiläinen
Under-Secretary of State
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finland
Professor Glenn Denning
Professor of Professional Practice, School of International and Public Affairs
Columbia University, U.S.A.
Mr. John Haule
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Tanzania
Ms. Elsie Kanza
Director, Head of Africa,
World Economic Forum, Switzerland
Professor Idris Kikula
University of Dodoma, Tanzania
Dr. Frannie Léautier
The African Capacity Building Foundation, Zimbabwe
Ms. Anneli Temmes
HAUS - Finnish Institute of Public Management, Finland
The institute is managed by a lean, highly-skilled secretariat focusing on coordination and quality control. Our Chief Executive Officer is Professor Joseph Semboja. To provide the highest quality of leadership services and products, the Institute engages a network of local and international experts on a consultancy basis.
Here is UONGOZI Institute’s Strategic Plan for 2011 – 2015